Search This Blog

Wednesday 15 April 2020

Resurrection ruminations (2) depth of field


Thursday in Easter Week
April 16th

READING: Luke 24: 35-48

Then they told what had happened on the road, and how he had been made known to them in the breaking of the bread. While they were talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, ‘Peace be with you.’ They were startled and terrified, and thought that they were seeing a ghost. He said to them, ‘Why are you frightened, and why do doubts arise in your hearts? Look at my hands and my feet; see that it is I myself. Touch me and see; for a ghost does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.’ And when he had said this, he showed them his hands and his feet. While in their joy they were disbelieving and still wondering, he said to them, ‘Have you anything here to eat?’ They gave him a piece of broiled fish, and he took it and ate in their presence.

Then he said to them, ‘These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you—that everything written about me in the law of Moses, the prophets, and the psalms must be fulfilled.’ Then he opened their minds to understand the scriptures, and he said to them, ‘Thus it is written, that the Messiah is to suffer and to rise from the dead on the third day, and that repentance and forgiveness of sins is to be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things.

REFLECTION

As we move further into Luke’s resurrection appearance stories, we find him working hard to convey, for want of a better word, the reality of a period of surreal experiences. Actually, borrowing from the world of art, I want to say “super-real,” reality over and above that which is our normal experience. The “super-realist” school of art emphasized the subjects of their art at the expense of any distraction: the shop, the can of baked beans, the cat, whatever, was all that mattered. In photography the same effect can be achieved, to some extent, by altering depth of field (there’s a related issue called “circle of confusion.” which may also be a useful metaphor for resurrection theology, but I might skip that for now!). Reality greater than mere actual.

Mathematician-priest John Polkinghorne famously used the analogy of a stone in water to convey the “super-reality” of the resurrection. The super-real passes through the merely real. Physician Luke didn’t think of that, though with phrases such as “it is I myself” and depictions of Jesus appearing and disappearing from the realms in which the encounters took place he is wanting to communicate the same idea. For me, of course it’s easy to believe. Though illogically claiming to be rationalist in some ways, I have no understanding of anything mathematical, let alone other sciences, and (equally and oppositely!) no difficulty believing in the super-real breaking into reality in God’s chosen moment. Not often, mind you: just sacred moments (like when a horse told Anne and me to get married, but that’s another story). In “thin places” when the power of the beyond breaks through, occasional liturgies similarly, in occasional music, too. For me, in the sacred rite of Eucharist, this becomes an always (well so far, for 40+ years). That’s not everyone’s experience, I know. And at the moment it’s pretty much no-one’s experience (or should be, theologically and legally speaking). So we must sit with that pain … for now.

Ancient, pre-Christian spiritualities, especially in Australia, have taught me vast hints about the limits of science. For me there was no thinner place nor thinner time than where and when heaven kissed earth in the Resurrection. Not a committee meeting saying, “Yup, Jesus was pretty good, let’s carry on his work” but the sheer weight of divine love transcending death (and walls) and impelling us to bear witness. So we must, however stumblingly.




No comments: