Search This Blog

Saturday 14 October 2023

kai time, whanau?

 

SERMON PREACHED AT St PAUL’S, ARROWTOWN

and St PETER’S, QUEENSTOWN

28th ORDINARY SUNDAY (October 15th) 2023

 

 

READINGS:

Exodus 32: 1-14

Psalm 106: 1-6, 19-23

Philippians 4: 1-9

Matthew 22: 1-14

 

I mentioned last week that the Bible can be awfully problematical at times. In the context of the Matthew passage this week I fins myself muttering “Really, Jesus? At the very least could you not have just stopped at the the end of the bit about a wedding hall full of guests?” So I did! If you check against a lectionary you’ll find a rather toxic four verses follow, but for now I feel it’s better to stop with the sense of God throwing open the doors of the banquet and ushering in the flotsam and jetsam of society.

Which may or may not be you and me. If we start thinking God owes us a favour and isn’t it lucky for God that we’re here, then we may belong in the omitted passage. For there, the God-figure tells a bloke wearing the wrong suit that he’s there on false pretences, and in typical Matthew style he is thrown out to join a bevy of teeth-gnashers and wailers.

We make light of a doctrine of judgment at great peril. There are forms of Christianity that say any old cloth will do. That I can live my life however I like, exploiting whoever I like, preying upon whoever I like, sneering at or bullying whoever I like, and, in good kiwi style, “she’s right,” or as they say in some parts of Australia, “she’s apples.” 

No – God is not a plaything, nor made in my image: to think that of God is to contravene that commandment about using the name of the Lord in vain, and God gets very grumpy about that. I don’t think, as I have said many times before, that God airily waves a nonchalant hand at the atrocities that we are seeing on both sides of the Israeli-Arab borders. I don’t think those who are sexual predators, especially sexual predators in the realms of faith, are airily dismissed as mere miscreants: such people desecrate the very essence of God.

But I do think we can grasp great and for want of a better word “eternal” hope in the over-the-top scene of the wedding banquet. Jesus in fact engages in a sort of dark humour in these passages, at least as they were recounted by Matthew decades later. No king is really going send a son chooffing off to face heinous murderers who have already killed all the king’s key players. Even tyrant kings are not that dumb. Well not often, and not when it clearly puts them at a disadvantage.

No: for all Matthew was writing for a persecuted audience, and therefore tended to tell his Jesus stories in such a way that the community could believe that persecutors would receive their come-uppance, for all that, there is a wonderful generosity in the parable of the wedding banquet. For the God-figure here throws open the doors of blessedness to you and to me, to our forbears and to our descendants.

The nonchalant and the murderous characters of this Jesus Parable are not the Jewish contemporaries of Jesus, those who didn’t get his messiahship. They are you and me and all who claim faith but who by our words and actions close doors faster, almost, than God opens them. We are, where we get it wrong, the nonchalant and the murderous.

Paradoxically we can also be those, the good and the bad, who are invited as a second option to join the feast of God. For all humanity is here invited to receive the mad generosity of divine love. We just have to accept the invitation. And live it. 

No comments: