Search This Blog

Friday 8 November 2019

swearing at God


SERMON PREACHED AT St ANDREW’S, MAHENO
and St LUKE’S, OAMARU
ORDINARY SUNDAY 32 (November 10th) 2019


READINGS:

Job 19:23-27a
Psalm 17:1-9 
2 Thessalonians 2:1-5, 13-17
Luke 20:27-38


I recall only too well the day I learned to swear at God. (This is not necessarily a practice I recommend as some sort of pious discipline, at least on record or when wearing my Educator’s or Archdeacon’s hats. I'm keen to keep my job! Yet in a strange way I do recommend it, and so, for those who reach for their pens to complain, I’ll stand by my words).

I was in my early twenties, walking across a large block, an acre or two of vacant land on my way home from university in Palmerston North. I was hurting. At the time I was dating the vicar’s daughter, and constant interference from fellow-parishioners who rightly or wrongly did not think I was a suitable companion for her had placed immeasurable strain on the relationship. We broke up, and as I walked I told God how I felt.

It wasn’t pretty.

Okay, a bit of post-adolescent Romeo and Juliet angst is not really the stuff of grand spiritual or theological profundity. I was grumpy with God. There was little point in hiding it. The God of our faith is not a god we can hide from. “Omniscient” is the technical word. Omniscient, omnipotent … lots of “omnis” are applied to God and it’s pretty darned clear to me that while God may not choose to flick the “on” button on those “omnis” at any given time or any time at all, a god without them is pretty second rate. I was angry with God because God wasn’t doing what I wanted. I suspect I didn’t have the final word that day, nor should I. Ever. And sometimes that hurts.

Still: Job was having a worse day than I was. He and his so-called mates were engaged in a bit of a tussle, but Job was engaged in far more than that. The “mates” were the sort who knew best what was good for Job. The sort of sanctimonious mates you do not want when life is full of nasty things, when the fan is slowly turning and the nasty things hit it, and the only words you can find are what Paul Simon errantly called “words I never heard in the Bible.”

Job had far more to contend with than a love-struck 21 year-old did.

Old Testament theologian Norman Habel puts it succinctly: Job saw himself to be a “solitary mortal under siege, surrounded by the troops of God” (Habel 1985:295). It’s too easy to read Job 19 from a position of complacent comfort, too easy to lean back in our spiritual armchairs and hear, as another commentator Carol Newsom puts it, “the strains of Handel’s Messiah in the background” (Newsom 1996: 477). We can of course know that our redeemer lives, but that wasn’t Job’s experience. 

Sometimes we have to acknowledge the deep pain of human existence, the deep morass that gives New Zealand the highest rate of teen suicide and one of the highest rates full stop of suicide in the western world.  We may know that our redeemer lives, but we also live the grungy side of hope. The hope we find in the death and only-then resurrection of Jesus was no picnic in the park, after all.

Job like Jacob long before dared to wrestle with God, and his friends were unimpressed. God is not a matey, tame God, as C. S. Lewis once reminded us. But on the other hand there’s no point in playing games with an omni-many things God. God is not a mate, but in Christ we are enabled to be out there, to be honest, to be transparent to God the Father of the Crucified Son.

So I learned to swear at, within even, God. It’s a pity in some ways that the Thessalonian Christians hadn’t. Because they were beginning to play games with God, worse, to turn God into a plaything, “God on our side” as Bob Dylan famously put it.

The Thessalonian Christians were a cosy bunch. Like the Corinthians and Galatians that Paul would address later in his writings, these Christians had become complacent. Thessalonica itself was a city and region that prided itself in its cosiness to that other Lord, Lord Augustus Caesar. But the Christian converts were the God thing a little too far. They had become complacent, holier than thou. God was their mate, the return of Jesus was imminent, and they gave less than a fig about the world around them.

I am reminded of a strain of pseudo-Christianity in the world today. These pseudo-Christians are convinced that Trump is the chosen one of God, that the Temple will be rebuilt in Jerusalem, that Christians don’t need to worry one iota about the environment or any other human predicament because they soon will be rescued from mere mortal existence, and literally to hell with the rest. This, the author of Second Thessalonians saw clearly, was obscene.

These are strange times. Apocalyptic even. Times often are. These may not be the last time foundations of human experience are shaken. In the wake of World War Two Paul Tillich wrote (I have altered his pronouns in the interests of inclusive language):

humanity is not God; and whenever we have claimed to be like God, we have been rebuked and brought to self-destruction and despair. When we have rested complacently on cultural creativity or on technical progress, on political institutions or on religious systems, we have been thrown into disintegration and chaos; all the foundations of our personal, natural and cultural life have been shaken …
These are strange times, and not the first. So too were the times of the New Testament authors. Today there may well be a “lawless one” (the word in 2 Thess. 2:3 is untranslatable), a leadership of chaos unleashed on the world wherein lies are truth and truth is fake. Donald Trump is not the first, and may not be the last anti-Christ to saunter God’s earth. [In the light of responses to this comment in my sermon I was delighted to find these thoughts from a worthier source. ] There will always be thuggery and corruption in corridors of power until the final surviving apocalyptic cockroach breathes its last. 

This though is no reason for Christ-followers to dance arrogantly on the hopes and fears of Greta Thunberg’s Millennials, or to ignore the plight of dying species or surrender our Christ-mission in any other way. God is not our mate, even if we stand in the embrace of the Son who pleads our case.

We have a God of hope, who “loves us and through grace gives us eternal comfort and good hope, who comforts our hearts and strengthens them in every good work and word.” 

Yes. 

Nevertheless we are still called by God’s Spirit to be a people who perform good works and deeds, whose good works and deeds match or better those of the most sacrificial givers and doers of the community around us, empowered to be so by God’s Christ-bearing Spirit.

Only in that way can we proclaim to our world the death- and annihilation-transcending God who turns Good Friday to Easter, who transcends suffering and death, who reaches beyond the empty world of the Sadducees to eternal hope.

 We will not proclaim the one who many will consider to be our rather invisible and laughable friend if we do not reveal divine love, mercy, justice and compassion by our lives. I may well have learned to swear at – or at least to be brutally honest in my relationship with – God, but there is no earthly or heavenly use in my having anything to do with God at all if I am not willing to put my hands and heart and feet and mind, such as they are, in the service of God’s love and justice and compassion and hope.

I may learn to be honest with God, to worship God, to dance and pray and read and mow church lawns and attend church meetings, all these things and more.  But if I have not, as Paul hinted in a letter to another troublesome group, if I have not the love made possible only by again and again surrendering to God’s rather prickly Spirit, then I am no more than a noisy stone in a tin can or nails on an old fashioned blackboard. 

I learned to swear at God once, but that was not the point. I learned that day to hold nothing back, to surrender my life again and again to the God of the Cross, the God who breathes order into chaos, life into death, eternity into mortality. I don't always remember, but sometimes I do. 

No comments: